Sbux in Shared Commercial Space


In marveling at the wonderful use of space shared by Coava Coffee and an industrial Bamboo business, I made the hasty claim that something this creative could never happen by a lame franchise like sbux.  I am wrong, at least partly.  I had forgotten that in the Target we use on 116th in E. Harlem, there is this sbux installed.  It feels like I'm in an airport.

But in my defense, this sharing of space isn't that interesting:  1) because it's not a case of a small start up shop sharing space in order to keep initial costs down; 2) it's the execution of a strategy on a massive scale, so kind of a cookie-cutter version of shared space rather than a brilliant, surprising concept; 3) pairing an industrial bamboo business and a high-end coffee shop is a more jarring and pleasing juxtaposition than simply plopping one retail operation in the middle of another.  Still, I'm all for shared space.

Comments

Popular Posts