A few early reflections on sabbatical leave:

1.     So grateful for three months away from all my normal leadership rhythms.  It was wonderful.  Pastors don’t work harder than others.  EVERYONE deserves these periods of rest and renewal.

    2.  The congregation I serve is an amazing, caring, and talented group of people.  They took on a wide range of leadership roles and kept us moving forward while I was away.  Their generosity towards me and my family is impressive.
   
    3.  I have a great staff (whom I owe big time) – thank you to Laura, Greg, Gayle, Kathy, Alesha, and Rachel.  (I will do my best not to crash back into your lives in 5th gear, since you all have been hard at it!)

    4.  Sounds bad to say, but the most unexpected joy was just spending more time w/ my wife and kids.  While I didn’t notice any difference in my personality, THEY said I was much less angry/stressed and much more present. 

    5.  It was a delight to reconnect with friends from lots of places: Oxford, New Haven, NYC, Arlington, Denver, KC.

    6.  Whatever my sabbatical plan said, what actually happened was an intensive immersion in beauty and deliciousness (primarily in forms of architecture, beer, & food), alongside great people.

    7.  While I read less than I thought I would, I wrote way more than I thought I would.  If you know me (Enneagram 5, forever stalling to read yet one more thing), this is a very good thing.


    8.  Random top two most powerful experiences: meeting farmer Will Bucklin (of Bucklin Vineyards) and spending Pentecost Sunday at the Tate Modern.

Comments

Popular Posts