Questions about Digital Engagement via Anil Dash

Like everyone else, I’ve had a chest cold and congested sinuses for two weeks and felt miserable.  I coughed so much two nights ago my lovely wife said, “Honey, I think it’s time for you to go out to the couch.” 

So my morning run has been on hiatus.  But I did feel well enough this morning to take the dog on a long walk.  While walking I listened to Krista Tippett’s conversation with Anil Dash.  I was so glad to hear it, as I’m collecting wise guides for how we can all live deeply and with purpose in the crush of new technologies and social media.

Here’s a good question Dash asked: “For all the time you’ve spent online, how much good has it done you?”  The question has a little bite to it of course.  The assumption beneath the question is that most of us have wasted a fair bit of time online -- surfing, reading petty, inane stuff about celebrities, scrolling through social media posts, posting stupid stuff ourselves.  And yes, in that sense, I think when all is said and done a good many of us will regret such unwise choices about how to spend our days.

Nevertheless, I don’t want to assume that the response has to be fully negative.  I do have a few things to “show” for all the time I’ve spent online or connecting via new technologies.  I have close groups of friends scattered around in different places.  And I’m deeply grateful for the ways texting and social media enables us to stay connected, interacting, growing, and learning from one another.  It might have happened via email, but it certainly wouldn’t have happened if we were limited to phones or letter writing.

Also, I spend most of my time online reading stuff that I really care about.  Good journalism.  Long, thoughtful investigative pieces.  Reviews of literature and film that are both good for me personally and informative for the way I communicate in my writing and speaking.  I choose not to use Facebook, because there’s too much noise for me.  I’m overwhelmed by all that’s there.  But I do use Twitter.  And I value it primarily for links to resources, tools, articles, and ideas I need to do my work.  I find stuff that way that I wouldn’t find any other way.  I find new people and organizations to follow.  I find new frameworks of interpretation and new approaches to complex human problems.  So there, that’s how I would redeem some of my time online.

But most provocative for me were the questions Dash raised about HOW we use social media.  This list may include some of my own questions, but they are inspired by Dash . . .

How often do you express gratitude to others in your posts?
How often do you celebrate the contributions of others in your posts?
How often do you amplify the voice of someone who has a smaller platform than you do?
How often are your posts only about yourself (is the primary pronoun “I”)?
How often are your posts premature, an attempt to express something fast that you haven’t had time to process and articulate?
How many times have you apologized?
Do your posts generally serve to offer something positive and fresh for others, or are they primarily catharsis for you?
Do your posts function to connect people, encouraging the deepening of relationships?  Or do they tend to be snarky, defensive pot shots, creating division?

Do your posts deepen anxiety and despair?  Or do they make confidence and meaningfulness real possibilities for others?

Comments

  1. Akhirnya Terbongkar Cara Memenangkan Permainan Situs Judi Sabung Ayam Online

    Agen Sabung Ayam Online Terbaik Dan Juga Terpercaya https://sabungayamlive.net/

    Informasi Terlengkap Mengenai Sabung Ayam

    http://bvsateayam.blogspot.com/2018/09/beberapa-ciri-sadari-ayam-sabung-pingin.html/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts