A Little Letter to Marilyn Adams (Beloved Teacher and Mentor)

Dear Marilyn:

When I came to YDS in 1994, all I knew was that the conservative “Bible” religion I grew up with didn’t work.  I came with the goal of finding out whether this faith should be abandoned or altered.  (I was hoping it could be altered).


You introduced me to Beulah the cow.  But you also introduced me to the joy of thinking deeply, and even arguing passionately, about things that matter.  You modeled how the craft of theology is done at the highest level.  And probably more important for me personally, you were preacher and priest and theologian all at once.

I remember all the courses I took with you.  I remember working as your TA.  I remember stumbling down the hill to morning Eucharist at Berkeley – not as often as I would have liked, but surprisingly often for a non-Episcopalian who is also a non-morning-person.

I remember several good conversations we had.  But I remember one conversation in particular.  You asked me if I was going to pursue further studies after my M.Div.  I said “maybe,” and proceeded to ask you for a list of second-tier schools where I might be able to get in.  You refused to give me that list, and listed instead only the schools you considered first rate.  Thank you.

I also remember several meals with friends and colleagues in your beautiful home on St. Ronan.  I remember there were peas – an enormous bowl of splendidly green peas!  (Why on earth do we remember such things?)

Your work on Horrendous Evils has informed my pastoral work in many ways.  But it is your collection of child-like prayers for adults that I turn to most often.  Though I do not think you had any particular love for John Calvin, your prayers have been voiced by the many Presbyterians I’ve served.

May God be near you and Bob.  May the Spirit weave through these letters you’ll receive.  And may Christ’s likeness be in the faces of those surrounding you.



With love, Jared (and Stephanie) Witt

Comments

Popular Posts